80,000-99,999 SparkPoints 93,800

Project Pixie Dust: Day 96 02-17-11

Friday, February 18, 2011

*** Faith, trust, and pixie dust ***

I woke up early today (think 5:00 am) and peeked out the window to see thick pea soup fog blocking my view. The roads were eerily quiet. I had already heard that local schools would be closed today, for the second day in a row, due to a proposed state “budget” bill which had motivated thousands of teachers to protest on Capital Square. The dreaded pager had been silent all night, and continued to sleep on my hip. After the storm of a busy work week, to be followed by a high-stakes business trip, I was enjoying this rare calm moment. Along my commute, hardly a soul was out an about. The only two people I spotted were both runners, ones with death wishes, I think. Runner #1 was decked out in black gear and running actually on the road in spite of the presence of a perfectly good, empty sidewalk. I almost didn’t see him, and wondered if he was aspiring to a prestigious Darwin Award. Runner #2, listening to music in headphones, almost literally jumped out in front of my car to cross the street without even a passing glance in my direction. Which begs the public service announcement…if you run on, near, or across a road, especially in the dark, wear bright reflective gear so cars can see you and, for goodness’ sake, pay attention. Cars are bigger than you and even good, safe drivers might accidentally hit you if you do something foolish. Thank you. Here endeth my PSA. (How did my peaceful moment suddenly change into a vent about unintelligent runners?!) Thankfully after two close encounters with the careless runners, I was in my empty office, able to tap back into the morning’s quiet, peaceful vibe. While I ate breakfast, I caught up with the latest on the governor/budget law/teacher/school closing stuff. This blog isn’t a place for political commentary, so I won’t get into it much, but it certainly is a train wreck of a sitatuion and I hope that all people involved can act like adults and come to a workable solution. In any event, being intrigued by the ins and outs of this debate, as well as the more far-reaching implications, I read and enjoyed the latest news articles and discussions to ease into my work day.

The work day was on the longer side, mainly due to all the last minute preparations I needed to do for next week’s trip. But at the end of it, I was able to kick my feet up and enjoy some more leisurely internet surfing. I was able to check my “register for Wine & Dine half marathon” to do off my list, and I even have my hotel ressies for that weekend. We got an awesome AAA discount on a room at Disney’s All Star Music Resort, so all that’s left to do is book airline tickets, purchase park passes, and (possibly) arrange for a food plan. I am thrilled about this vacation! It will be my only 2011 trip to Florida, although I will, of course, have one in January 2012 to look forward to. And speaking of look forward to, I’m closer and closer to the weekend, and only have one more night of being on call. I’m wishing for an easy night, of course, especially given that the internet repair person won’t be coming until tomorrow afternoon! Today I was about the same with eating, kind of careless and all over the place, but I DID get a very generous dose of strength training done. This frees up more time/energy for RUNNING over the weekend, and I’ll probably get to do at least some of it…wait for it…OUTSIDE!

Drink my water, 64+ ounces: DONE (69 days running)!

Eat five servings of fruits and veggies: DONE (47 days running)!

You bite it, you write it: Not today! I started the day with a few halfhearted attempts to keep track on paper, but it fell apart by lunchtime and I more or less abandoned my efforts. NOT cool, I know…but that’s what happened.

Eat mindfully all day and night: I give myself a D- today. I really wasn't too careful today about the balance of different kinds of food I ate (code for too much junk food, in other words), and even saying I did okay with my eating would have been too generous. When I'm in "survival mode" I tend to get super careless about quantity and quality...I need some strategies to help me watch that!

Running: I didn’t run tonight, but am planning to resume tomorrow. (I will wear my reflective gear and pay attention if I run outdoors, of course!) Either tomorrow or Saturday I’m slated to do a SparkPeople virtual 5k again. Not sure if I’ll improve my 31:09 time from last week, but I’ll give it my best shot and have fun whether I make it or not!

Cross Training: Didn’t get to it today.

On my way to DISNEY WORLD! 187.49 miles complete, 1102.51 to go (1290 total)

Strength Training: I gained a lot of ground today after skipping strength training on Monday AND Wednesday. I did Crunch Total Resculpt, which has twenty minutes of lower body and twenty minutes of upper body exercises, followed by forty minutes of Pilates, which worked my lower body and core. To finish up my week, I’ll do about ten more minutes of upper body and fifteen more minutes of core work between Friday and Saturday.

I cannot WAIT to crawl into bed and sleep for a LONG time tomorrow night! When on call, I always feel like I’m sleeping with one eye open. It’s like on some unconscious level, I can’t get into a deep, comfortable sleep because I might be startled out of it at any moment. And I’ve been on the couch this week, mainly because I hate to wake Bruce up if the pager goes off and I have that mad dash to get dressed and out the door. It’s actually not bad sleeping on the couch, although not quite as restful as the bed. We have this cozy blue couch that I got from Rooms to Go about ten years ago, and it’s been through a LOT with me! When I was heavily pregnant with Timmy, the bed just got uncomfortable and I pretty much moved to the couch, which seemed to support my back and growing belly just perfectly. And it was there for me on those late nights when I was up feeding newborn Timmy…good times! And even now, when I’m just wanting to veg out or even take a catnap, the old blue couch fits me just right. Bruce occasionally makes noises about replacing it, but I say no! And the couch is currently situated in what is quite possibly my favorite room in any place I’ve ever lived in. It’s our townhouse’s loft. I’ll miss this room so much when we move. The temperature and lighting are always just right, no matter what time of day or year, and it’s homey and inviting. All of my favorite tech toys, like the TV and computer, are right there…it’s almost like a “man cave,” just with a few extra quirky decorations (mainly Disney-themed!) and a little preschool charm (er…that’s code for toys on the floor) for good measure. Honestly, if I could fix up a “dream room” in my house, not counting a gourmet kitchen, I’d totally go for a “man cave” over some hoity-toity, mitchy-matchy stylishly decorated room any day. But I digress! What was I talking about again? Oh yeah…bring on the weekend! I’m ready for some real sleep! Besides doing that virtual 5k run, I’ll probably shop for travel supplies and maybe a few fun goodies, and there will be plenty of high-quality relaxing on the agenda!

I did talk to my sweet little T this evening and it was so soothing to hear his cute little voice. It was a bit past his bedtime, and I could sense by his exaggerated levels of emotion that it had been a long day and he was tired and cranky. The trip out to Jersey was generally smooth sailing. Timmy even charmed the airline staff into letting him visit the cockpit (I’m assuming while the plane was still on the ground since I think they’re supposed to lock it after taking off?) He talked to the pilots and asked them about what all the buttons in the cockpit did, and Bruce indicated that the pilots were great with Timmy! There was some kind of snafu with the seating. Bruce had (supposedly) reserved adjacent seats but they had Bruce in row 9 and Timmy in row 17. Hello?! Thankfully, they resolved it quickly, and the boys actually got to sit in the front row! But can you imagine…sitting our child eight rows away from the nearest parent would have made for a horrible flight for Timmy, Dad, and pretty much everyone else on the plane. HA! Anyway, they’re both safe and sound and will be well rested for the service tomorrow morning.

And for one more bit of randomness before I try to get some rest myself, many of my running pals are gearing up for next weekend’s Disney Princess Half Marathon, which will (almost) mark the first anniversary of my first half. What a day that was and how far I’ve come, literally, since then! I am thrilled for everyone who will get to enjoy the Disney running experience next weekend, because it is truly magical! I won’t be out there running with a Princess Tiana (the princess I would have appointed as my favorite this year) but will be there in spirit chEARing on all of my friends. And of course, I’ll be eagerly looking ahead to Wine & Dine 2011 and Marathon weekend 2012! Soooo…best wishes to all Princesses (and any of their Princes) on your final preparations and travels. February 27 is almost here!
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
  • LAURIE5658
    RB, you know how badly I wanted to run with you at Princess but we will just have to wait for August!!! I am going to spend this weekend getting my Princess ducks in a row and begin gathering the stuff and things a Princess needs to run 13.1 miles. A new event has developed and being the NASA geeks Jim and I truly are, will be able to witness Discovery launch Thursday afternoon. How awesome is that?

    I will be thinking of you and just wishing you were by my side. Love you to pieces!

    2825 days ago
    You are emoticon !
    2825 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.