GOAL BLOG #1
Tuesday, February 01, 2011
MAKE EXERCISE "A FIRST THING PRIORITY"...
Since joining SP I have started to exercise...before August 2010, I didn't walk to the end of my driveway except on garbage day...! Needless to say I was out of breath, out of sorts and out of shape.
My first attempt at calisthenics had me collapsed on the floor after trying to lift my legs OR raise my butt ! And it had taken lowering myself using the bedpost to get me down there in the first place. VERY small increases as the weeks progressed led me to first bike-riding and then to Aquafit...both on the advice of fellow sparkers! Bless you!! Today I did my first Zumba class ...after 35 minutes on the bike...and my strength training...!!
I have noticed something though, that is disquieting. I am NOT TOTALLY INTO EXERCISING!! The usual response I am told, to exercising daily, is that it is missed when a day goes by without exercise! Nope! I travel to my parents frequently and on those days there is no time for my daily routine. The next day I have to fight to get back on the bike and to do my work-out, and this week since I had a cold I slacked off for three days in a row...!! Thank goodness the 8 week challenge came around and "forced" me back to the gym...had to renew my membership too!
Second, I have no such need for a push when it comes to Aquafit...Monday mornings are exciting and I'm rarin' to go. It is the day that the "best" instructor runs the class, and that class is at 9:00AM sharp! The others have been rescheduled for 10:15 mid morning.
So what is the point of this blog?? Well, on assessing my responses to exercising and fitness in general, I have come to the conclusion that despite several MONTHS of regular exercise IT IS NOT A HABIT YET...30 years without any attempt at including physical activity will definitely require a longer time committment before exercise becomes an ingrained part of my day.
"Well", I hear you say, "Who has really left physical activity out of their day for that long??!! and Why??!! would they do that!!? Most unusual!!?" In fact several of my acquaintances and friends and family fall into this description. Asthma/Arthritis or other movement inhibiting health condition, age/injury or fear, or length of work-day/week and ease of car transport, or a variety of stressors and committments mean that there is little to motivate a more active/fit life-style. We all have experienced that as fitness decreases it becomes harder and harder to START! Weight comes on pound by pound over time, and "suddenly" 10 years or 30 years later, the truth can't be avoided... Activity is zero, and one's health is in jeopardy.
So, taking the above into consideration...HERE is my GOAL ...right off of SP to be sure,
but MY GOAL: EXERCISE FIRST THING!! IF ITS NOT A HABIT YET...FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT!!
1. Exercising early in the morning "jump starts" my metabolism, keeping it elevated for hours, sometimes for up to 24 hours! As a result, I'll be burning more calories all day long--just because I exercised in the morning.
2. Exercising in the morning energizes me for the day--not to mention that gratifying feeling of virtue I have knowing I've done something disciplined and good for me.
3. Studies have shown that exercise significantly increases mental acuity--a benefit that lasts four to ten hours after my workout ends. Exercising in the a.m. means I get to harness that brainpower, instead of wasting it snoozing.
4. If I make exercise a true priority, it won't be a major problem to get up 30 to 60 minutes earlier--especially since regular exercise generally means a higher quality of sleep, which in turn means I probably require less sleep. ..and I can ease into it with 10 to 20 minutes at first.
5. When I exercise at about the same time every morning, I'm regulating my body's endocrine system and circadian rhythms. My body learns that I do the same thing just about every day, and it begins to prepare for waking and exercise several hours before I actually open my eyes.
So that's it!! A minimum of 30 minutes "action" EVERY DAY!
...and then lets see when that fitness bug bites me good and proper!...I DO NOT WANT TO EVER BE OBESE AGAIN! LOOK LIKE I DID THEN! FEEL LIKE I DID THEN!