I have lost a significant amount of weight and I’m constantly being asked what are you doing? So I decided I would give this advice for those who ask!! I would suggest the following:
1. Join sparkpeople-www.sparkepople.co
m-It’s a great website where people of all ethnic backgrounds come together to give each other tips on weight loss.
2. Make sure you are ready to begin your new healthy lifestyle. I always tell people losing weight is 90% mental and 10% physical!!
3. Keep your portions under control-Read the portion distortion article on sparkpeople
4. Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables- fruits and vegetables have a lot of fiber and fiber is good for our bodies. Fiber helps us to feel fuller.
5. Make sure you track and journal!! Keep a log of all the food you consume at each meal!! You will be surprised at how many calories you really consume on a daily basis!! I would also suggest you journal your thoughts each day!!
6. Set a schedule for routine exercise!! Exercise will be a critical part of your healthy lifestyle!! Purchase a pedometer and make sure you get in 10,000 steps daily!!!
7. Be patient!! Losing weight should be slow and steady!! Remember you didn’t gain the weight over night and you want lose it over night!!!
8. Drink 8 glasses of water per day- Remember our bodies require water in order to function optimally. Water can also help you feel full as well as can also prevent overeating.
9. Add variety- You need to make sure you try different foods so that you want get bored with the same old foods. If you get bored you will eat things that may not be a good choice for your new healthy lifestyle.
10. Don’t skip breakfast- As we’ve all heard before, eating a healthy breakfast gives you energy and nutrients that you need to get through the day. Studies show that people who skip breakfast are more likely to overeat later in the day.
11. Choose broiled or grilled food rather than fried foods- By simply broiling or grilling your food you can achieve a very similar taste to fried foods and reduced fat content.
12. Be disciplined at the grocery store- Shop the perimeter of the grocery store!! It’s much easier to stick to a healthy diet if you try to only buy healthy foods when you purchase your groceries. It’s very difficult to avoid the temptation of cookies or chips when they’re sitting in your pantry at home. If you don’t buy them, you won’t be tempted to stray from your diet.
13. Reduce your salt intake- Eating foods that are high in sodium can contribute to high blood pressure in addition to water retention and weight gain. Learn to cook with fresh herbs and spices.
14. Weigh yourself once a week!! If you weigh more than once a week it can be discouraging because weight tends to fluctuate, especially if you are a female!! Women tend to retain fluid especially that time of month.
Let me know what you would add or delete!! Happy New Year!!!