Small changes not shown by the scale
Sunday, December 05, 2010
So I lost four pounds this week and was really excited. Afterwards I did my upper body workout and noticed some other changes that are positive:
1. I can do 10 regular pushups in my set of 20 (the other 10 are modified, but I'm working on this and soon will do the full 20 normally).
2. I now walk around the living room between all sets of weight lifting and even if I can't fit in my run or don't feel well will walk around the living room briskly for one hour. Even this burns calories and helps keep me active when I am feeling very tired or have a hard day at work.
3. I include my kids in my workouts and now my daughter brings her friends over to follow me around the front yard and play tag. In Mali, a child rarely sees an adult female who isn't an athlete working out in the local neighborhoods.
4. Enjoy working out twice daily. When I started making these changes months ago I could not imagine fitting in one workout a day, much less the two I do now.
5. Almost all of my clothing is too big except for the small jeans my sister gave me last year and I can even wear those now, plus the belt I haven't fit since before having my first child.
There are countless other small intangible things that I have noticed. I have been asked what pill I'm taking by the Malian women. When I tell them I watch what I eat and exercise they look a little disappointed.
Here's to the small changes. They really do make a difference and they will change your life for the better.