Things I do well & Things that do well for me!
Sunday, September 05, 2010
So many of my blogs are about things I was stumbling with...and while that's great to notice, today I want to take note of things I do WELL -- and also to note the circumstances in my life that work well for me.
I've maintained myself in the healthy BMI range for a year now -- with slips sometimes into the lower reaches of "overweight." That means that I'm doing some things right! Here's what I've been doing:
* I aim to make vegetables and fruits the bulk of my meals.
* I aim to eat whole foods -- e.g. whole grains not bread, whole berries not jam, etc.
* I aim to eat enough protein.
* I aim to eat organic and local foods. I'm not sure how this helps directly, but by continuing to focus on it, I signal to myself that I care about my own health and the health of the planet.
* I aim to avoid eating for emotional reasons. If I think I want "something," strategies I've used successfully have been -- just wait, have a cup of tea, chew some gum, weed the garden, do some yoga, go outside.
* I aim to avoid sweets. I don't have any sweetener or any foods with concentrated sugar (e.g. raisins) in my place -- and therefore have had some success in dodging impending sugar binges.
* I aim to invite myself to have a cup of decaf instead of a gas-station-bad-choice when I refuel the car.
Things in my circumstances that work well:
* I live alone and only have to account for myself. While I would like to be in a relationship, I'm aware that negotiating eating patterns is part of being in relationship. As a single person, it's been helpful to me to able to eat when I want and what I want for the past year and more since I've been on SparkPeople (which nearly coincides with the amount of time I've been separated from my ex).
* Having a big communal garden right out my back door. Fresh vegetable and fruits are available to me at little cost from May to October -- and beyond.
Things I need to work on: Doing more of the above!