So my one month in on Spark People today. No, I did not reach my goal of losing a measly five pounds. I didn't think it was too lofty of a goal, its really only slightly more than 1 pound a week. No big deal. But as I indicated in my introduction, its the hardest set of pounds to lose. Perhaps that was what was in the back of my mind all along, that I was subconsiously setting myself up to fail because I've never been able to lose those pounds in a healthful manner.
But, did I fail? This month has been a bit of an learning experience, and a chance to see a bit of what I'm capable of. What I've learned this month:
- yes, it does help to record your foods here on SP. I had no idea how much I was eating beforehand, and writing everything down, seeing the make-up of the food made me, or because of my goal, rather forced me to choose healthier options and forced me to keep the calories in check.
- along the same lines, I've drank a lot more water. And less higher-calorie juices.
- I started strength exercises, yet again, that I realized that I was missing. For me, all it takes is a reason to want to work out, and then I'm good to go! I like to see my muscles working (especially those biceps!)
- I started the 100-push Challenge - doing "MAN" push-ups! HAHA I found that I had a lot more strength than I thought I had, and that's pretty cool
- I signed myself up for 3 races! My running has improved, though not to the level that I would like it to be at this point, considering that I have an 8K next week. And again, having the races to look forward to, and not wanting to disappoint myself, encourages me to keep on running!
- my sleeping patterns have improved. Due to a tumultuous 2009, I've been taking sleeping pills every night for a year. During the past two weeks, I've had only 2 pieces of pills - not even full pills!
- I've realized that the support from SP is invaluable. Especially when, like me, you have an injury that prevents you from running - or doing anything at all - for a week and words of wisdom from certain "smarty pants-es" makes you realize that its pretty dumb to try to rush the healing.
So, having said all that, and I could say more, I'll have to try again for another month. I won't give up. I'll complete my races, and sign up for more. I'll continue to work on healthy eating. I'll continue to learn. Because those ugly five pounds will be gone before the end of the year! That's 5 whole months!!
Have a great weekend everyone!