More thankful than angry
Thursday, July 01, 2010
After giving my last blog a lot of consideration, I decided to write my own reply to it.
It occurred to me that after initially wanting to be angry at my friend's stubbornness and inability to be genuinely happy about my success, that what I really needed to do was look at it from her perspective.
I did this and decided that I am much more thankful than angry...
1. I am thankful I can get a full night's rest without having to worry that I may stop breathing due to apnea. I wake rested and feeling strong. For this I am greatful.
2. I am thankful that I can go to the gym when I want to and that I have the luxury to choose from a menu of exercises and machines. I can take any class or use any of the equipment I choose to without fear that I will hurt myself.
3. I am thankful that I can walk long distances without assistance or discomfort. I can park my car at the back of the lot, avoiding having to wait for a spot and burning some extra calories at the same time. I do not need a scooter when I shop, nor do I need a walker. No one has to help me in or out of a car, my bed, my home, or any other building.
4. I am thankful I am in relatively good health. I have no arthritis, no diabetes, no high blood pressure or heart disease, and no joint problems. I have a lot of weight left to lose, but each pound puts me further out of their grasp.
5. I am thankful surgery was not an option for me. I have had to learn to do this on my own, and figure out how to make peace with food and with all the things I missed out on when I was younger b/c I was ashamed of my weight and was scared of rejection.
6. I am thankful I am not perfect and never will be. I am thankful for every pound I have lost and every pound I have yet to lose. They keep me honest.