10 Things I Love About Yoga
Thursday, June 17, 2010
1) I always feel TONS better than when I began.
2) It nurtures self-acceptance. I am thankful for what I can do and respectful of what I cannot yet do.
3) It builds self-awareness. I am much more in tune with my body's needs.
4) It helps me stand up taller.
5) It teaches me to focus on my breath. I don't do breathing exercisers otherwise.
6) It builds long, lean muscles. You don't need to do strength training if you do power yoga! It's a full-body workout that gets your heart rate up too!
7) It is a great stretch! I do not normally stretch adequately after cardio or strength workouts (who does when you only have 20 min. to squeeze something in?)
8) It is self-massage. When I feel like something is really tight and that I could use a good massage, if I ask the instructor to focus on that, or if I do some moves on my own, I can often release the problem area muscles myself.
9) It teaches proper alignment. Even if something is just a little off-kilter - you overwork one side or part of your body - it can end up causing a lot of pain!
10) You can be creative! There are SO many different yoga styles. Within those styles, you can change around pose combinations (always best to do so under the guidance of a knowledgeable instructor, as many poses are designed to flow before or after others), and you can "play" within a pose, taking different forms or hand motions.