Little fire, big stress
Monday, April 19, 2010
Yesterday turned into a very stressful day when I turned on the oven to start dinner and the control panel burst into flames. Big flames! Three fire engines and lots of big scary firemen came to help, but everything was all right. I told them I felt like I had inconvenienced them, but they reassurred me that I did the right thing by calling them.
And the kicker is that the extended warrenty on the range expired in February.
The house still smells like burning wiring. I was so scared that the fire was in the wall. I couldn't find one of my cats, and I guess I just really didn't keep my cool very well.
And guess how many neighbors stopped by to see if we were OK. Exactly none. I don't understand that. The little lady across the street didn't come over because my spouse went over and told her we were OK, so maybe word just spread from there. But really, wouldn't you talk to your neighbor whose house just had an army of firemen and several big fire trucks in front? Every kid in the neighborhood was out front watching, which is what I would expect, but why didn't the adults at least act concerned? My feelings are a little hurt.
To me, the irony is that I had just said, not an hour before while I was enjoying sitting on the patio on the beautiful day, that I was content. Guess I won't tempt fate like that again!
Here's to a better day!