Hot and Dry
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Today was a separating and packing day. It was very, very dry with the humidity hovering around 23%, If you touched anything metal, you got bit. Sometimes the spark jumped nearly a half an inch.
My DW isn't metal, but when I gave her a kiss before lunch, it was a wowser! Talk about sparks! Whoa. Nearly knocked both of us on the ground.
There are two things that you can do when static electricity is this high. One is to ground yourself by running a hand down a wall - that pulls the electricity out and its safe to touch.
The second involves raising the humidity significantly.
We turned the showers on high in each of the bathrooms, located at each end of the house, left the bathroom doors open and filled the room with steam - fanning it so it would go out in the rest of the house.
The other thing we did is to clean out two spray bottles, fill them with water and spray all over the house.
Those things lasted about two hours until the interior of the house again dried out. It's a good thing the house has it's own well.
Tomorrow will be a little warmer, but the wind isn't supposed to blow quite as hard, so moisture won't be sucked out of our skin when we walk from the house to the garage.