30,000-39,999 SparkPoints 32,871

Peeing in a cup...

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I haven't blogged for awhile. I have been in hibernation. Not really, but I haven't been as active on as I should have been. I've logged in, tracked my food and exercise, etc. but I've been quiet. I think I know why now.

I started feeling like I was getting a UTI about 2 weeks ago, but I couldn't figure out if that is what was going on, or if it was because I had bought some girdle-type underwear (the neverending struggle to get rid of my belly...) and maybe I was having some sort of allergic reaction to them. The problem was is that the pain was intermittant. I never knew when I was going to feel fine or feel not-so-fine. I tend to freak out when it comes to UTIs...Back in the 1980s, when I was in my 20s, one day I started having tons of pain. The pain became so bad within an hour, that all I could do was sit on the toilet, where the doughnut hole effect was the only way to help ease the pain. I even moved my television into the bathroom (I know that sounds funny, but I literally could not get any relief unless I was sitting on the toilet!) After seeing a urologist, they peformed a cystourethroscopy and discovered that I had polyps in my urethra, which they removed (not fun!) and that was that...So whenever I feel any pain in that area, I freak out, especially now that I'm older. My grandmother had bladder cancer (along with breast cancer and uterine cancer...all at different times...and she died of pneumonia at 84 years of age, cancer-free) So I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to figure out what was going on. The problem was because it was so intermittant. Usually I will run to the doctor pretty darn quick, but I was really questioning that something might be wrong. Denial can be fun sometimes. I haven't been able to exercise in the past 3 days because I've been soooo tired in the evenings. Enough where I was falling asleep on the couch (not napping, but sleeping) and then I couldn't sleep once I actually moved myself into the bedroom. This morning I woke up with a low-grade fever, so luckily I had made the appointment for this afternoon. I went and peed in the cup (always fun...) and sure enough, I have a UTI. My doctor, who I absolutely love and respect, then proceeded to lecture me, which I deserved, about not coming in sooner. He said I should be feeling better by Friday (I'm on antibiotics for 7 days. He made it a point to let me know that normally it would be only 4 days, but since I waited 2 weeks, it would have to be for 7) and if I'm not feeling better, to call back since they are going to do more cultures. So it doesn't look like any polyps returning (yea!) and I took my first pill about 1 hour ago. I guess I haven't been myself, and have been spending too much time on facebook playing Farmville and CafeWorld trying to cheer myself up. So I was hibernating (kind of like when an animal gets sick and goes off alone to lick it's wounds, I guess).

I am now 5.6 lbs away from my goal, but I talked to my doctor while I was there today and have lowered it another 10 lbs. So...I'm now 15.6 lbs. away. Here we go again! :)

I need to eat dinner, as I haven't eaten anything really since breakfast (except drinking diet cranberry juice cocktail, which luckily I love). I guess that is one good thing about being sick--no appetite! I should have a loss this week even though I'm not exercising...

Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Sad you haven't been feeling well, but glad you have answer and are on the mend.

    Take care of yourself! emoticon
    4140 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.