Black Bean Casserole
Friday, November 13, 2009
So I have become obsessed with this recipe I found. I can't remember where I got it, but it is my new favorite recipe! I love it!
For those of you who actually like meat, you could probably add some shredded chicken to it
2 cups chopped onion (2 large)
1-1/2 cups chopped yellow sweet pepper (2 medium)
1 14-1/2-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
3/4 cup salsa
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
4 medium tortillas
8 ounces reduced-fat cheese, shredded (2 cups)
Optional Toppings :
Sliced green onions
Sliced pitted ripe olives
Sour cream or plain low-fat yogurt
1. In a large skillet combine onion, sweet pepper, undrained tomatoes, salsa, cumin, and garlic. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in beans.
2. Spread one-third of the bean mixture over the bottom of a 9 x13 rectangular baking dish. Top with two of the tortillas, overlapping as necessary, and 1 cup of the cheese. Add another one-third of the bean mixture; top with remaining two tortillas and remaining bean mixture.
3. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Let stand 10 minutes.
4. If desired, top with chopped tomato, shredded lettuce, green onions, and olives, and serve with sour cream.
5. If you cut it into 8 servings, each serving has 275 calories, 9 grams of fat, 16 grams of protein, 35 grams of carbs, and 9 grams of fiber