#104: Eat and Become Slimmer
Sunday, October 11, 2009
In a recent issue of Woman's World magazine, an article detailed "15 slimming superfoods that melt off body fat!" got me wondering how so many magazines seem to have the same rehashed collection of article topics:
* How to lose weight without effort
* Foods to keep cancer at bay
* New recipes
* Foods to eat for healthier hair
* Foods to eat to enhance a love life
* Strengthen your nails by eating this
* Prevent diabetes, stroke and heart attack by eating these foods
* Fruit to prevent allergies
Do you see a connection here?
We are inundated daily with references to food. Some publications are devoted to nothing but food. Beware of TV commercials, too.
So how do we cope with these images hammered into us hour by hour?
By having a positive self-image, a high dose of self-confidence and the ability to shut out the food temptations of the day. But, that's easier said than done. The problem with trying to lose weight is that we focus so strongly on food -- what to eat, what to avoid, how much or how little to eat, tracking our consumption, etc.
I don't have a magic answer. Perhaps you can offer some ideas. When we're surrounded by food, how do we ignore it?
Meanwhile, as for the 15 superfoods (as per Woman's World):
1. Eggs -- obliterate hunger by being more filling than meat.
2. Sesame -- resists flab by using arginine, a promising get-slim amino acid.
3. Low-fat dairy -- can double diet results by revving metabolism.
4. Grapefruit -- eaten before meals reduces production of fat-storage hormones.
5. Nuts -- are full of fiber and good fats that speed weight loss.
6. Kiwi -- has vitamin C which is a key ingredient in fat burning.
7. Soup -- tricks the brain into feeling extra full.
8. Beans -- trigger strong hunger control.
9. Oatmeal -- makes us feel fuller and prevents some fat from being absorbed.
10. Fish -- boosts anti-hunger hormones and reduces fat-storage hormones.
11. Soy -- triggers the fat-burning hormone glucagon.
12. Dark chocolate -- kills fat cravings with hunger-suppressing antioxidants.
13. Whole grains -- shrink waists by 2.5 times more than white-flour.
14. Grapes -- pigments in blue and purple produce may prompt less fat in cells.
15. Apples -- has pectin that leads to a feeling of being full.
This makes losing weight sound so easy, doesn't it? Simply eat the foods above and become slimmer in no time.
But we know there's more to it than that, don't we?