KATSEP2018

SparkPoints
 

The journey begins.......again! Part two

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The human mind is made up of two distinct areas:the conscious mind and the subconscious mind.

The conscious mind makes up 12% of our total mind power, the subconscious mind makes up the other 88%. Our conscious mind controls logic, reasoning, decision and will power and the subconscious mind is where we store our experiences-negative, positive and neutral.

When we make the decision to lose weight, or to live a healthier life, we use the logic and reasoning of our conscious mind. And we may be successful and motivated for awhile.

But what happens next is way too common on the weight loss journey. After anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, the subconscious becomes uneasy. When we change the way we are eating, it becomes a threat to the subconscious because it is unknown. And the subconscious will fight against anything that is unknown to it. If we've eaten a lot of junk food, and consistently overeaten, this is stored in the subconscious mind as a positive experience, even if it's not healthy for our bodies.

So what happens next is that you will experience cravings and the overwhelming urge to eat something that was a "problem" food for you in the past. It is the subconscious mind deperately fighting to get back to what it knows, because what it knows is "good".

And meanwhile, our conscious mind is logically saying "I need to lose weight! Eating this way is really unhealthy and bad for me".

So there is an internal war going on between the conscious and subconscious mind. And which one typically wins? Well, how many times have you started a new eating plan only to find yourself sitting down with a box of cookies, a pint of ice cream or any other trigger food after a few weeks? The subconscious will win every time.

Your intention while starting the program was good and motivation was high, but soon the sabatoge kicks in and you are left kicking yourself for over indulging. It is why we are told that will power alone will not work.

Luckily, there is a way to reprogram the subconscious mind, to get rid of the past experiences and replace it with healthier information. And it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

I'll tell you more about this easy way to reprogram your subconscious mind in the next installment.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post

    Be the First to Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment


    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.
 

More Blogs by KATSEP2018