How Bouncer Lost Her Groove
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
Like always, I get into a "groove" of working out, getting stuff done around the house and just being a productive person...Then I have a set back. This time my setback came in the form of injury.
Saturday, June 13 was a beautiful day, so I woke up, got my running clothes on and went out for a run at a local park. This was the first time I've run outside in months. I was fine all day, but noticed some pain late that night. I brushed the pain off as I must have been laying on it funny or something. Sunday morning the pain was still there, and it was getting worse by the hour. By Monday, not only did I have pain, but it was swollen.
I'm not going to mess around with something like this so I promptly went in to the doctor. She looked at it and sent me for xrays and said to take the xrays to an orthopedic specialist. At this point we're thinking stress fracture.
It's now Wednesday, 4 days since the pain has started, and I'm starting to get a little depressed. The orthopedic guy doesn't see anything on the xray but tells me that doesn't mean it's not a stress fracture since they don't usually show on xrays until they are a little older. He orders an MRI.
After waiting for my insurance company to pre-certify said MRI, I have to make an appointment. Man is this getting frustrating! The only opening for the next 10 days is Sunday morning at 9am. I'm not at all claustrophobic, but trying to lay perfectly still inside that tube was next to impossible. It's was like every muscle wanted to twitch uncontrollably.
That brings us to yesterday. I decide I'm going to be proactive and not wait for the doctor to call me. I ask the receptionist if the MRI report was in and she tells me the doctor will call me right back. He calls and tell me it's not a stress fracture. My heart kind of sinks, if it's not a stress fracture then what is it? I have a ganglion cyst on my foot. My two option for treatment are surgery to remove it or and injection to try and get rid of it. I ask his opinion and he says that the surgery will ruin the rest of my summer. So I agree to come in next Monday to have in injected.
After I got off the phone I went right to the computer to Google this thing. I found out that most ganglion cysts are in the hand, and women get them more often then men. The troubling information I found is that 60-70% of the not surgical removals end in reoccurrence. So now I'm faced with this; have it injected with a greater than 50% chance it'll come back or have it surgically removed with a 5-10% chance it'll come back, but it'll blow the summer. DH would like me to get the surgery. I'm thinking, I'll get the injection and save at least some of the summer and if it comes back have the surgery.
But here I am, I haven't worked out in a week, I'm in pain and getting more depressed by the day. The scale? Forget it, I don't even want to think about what that number says right now. Since I know it's not a stress fracture I can't really make things much worse by exercising so I have to try. The only obstacle is the pain.
This whole situation has me asking, why me? Why is it that as soon as I really get things going I get to giant road block thrown up in front of me. Oh well. I'll be sure to blog again as time goes on and we see what's going to happen.