Happy February and Happy Superbowl Sunday... Will the Groundhog see his shadow tomorrow? Either way that it goes down we really do have 6 more weeks of winter. I want Spring to come so I can get back out into the garden! I have big, big plans for this year so you'll have to stay tuned to see what I do and how it turns out! I also warmer weather to get here so I can get outside and run. Today the temps are at 40/41 degrees so I took Ryan (the puppy) for a 2 mile walk. Did a little over 2 miles in slush and snow. Do you know how hard it is to walk in slush and snow?? I know I burned more than the 168 calories the tracker said I did. Plus, I was trying to control the dog.
In the past I've taken Sundays off even though I had originally thought I could get in an hour on the ellipitical. But I am finding that Saturdays are such big cardio/exercise days for me and that on Sunday my legs are just mush. Getting up to walk around the house I just feel so weak in the quads. I need some cross training that I can do on Sundays where I don't use the quads a lot but I can't think of any! I didn't want to really take Sunday off so with the gorgeous weather today the walk was the perfect solution.
Took these 2 pictures yesterday of some robins in a the cherry tree outside my house. Note the ice on the branches!
Here's a picture of Ryan by 9.5 month old, 55+ pound Irish Setter pup. He's turned into a wonderful pet now that the young puppy months are over. And with my mom living with me (another blog entry for another day) and she is able to lend a hand taking care of him, things at home are finally not as stressful and I've been able to do more exercise, go straight to the gym after work, and just enjoy life more! Who would have thought that having a puppy would be so hard??? So glad that's all over with for now. BIG SIGH of RELIEF!
Now - onto something new that I am going to do. I got this idea from another SP member - BRUIN2. It's setting goals for each month and then evaluating where you are at the start of the next month. I like this because it's a change from setting these nebulous, long term goals, that just don't seem real. These are goals for me to focus on one month at a time.
Looking back over January, here is what I accomplished...
1. I had 1640 minutes of cardio.
2. I lost 5.8 pounds!
3. I stayed in my calorie range 25 days out of 31 (altho, truth be told, I blew off 1/1 - 1/3 and started in earnest on 1/4) but I did stay in my range for the month.
4. I started back at the Y taking classes along with my own classes that I teach
5. I started seeing a psychologist to help me achieve my goals in life and combat my survival mindset/depression.
Here are my February goals...
1. 1600 Cardio minutes
2. Lose 4 pounds or rather - I'd like to get into the 130's!
3. Stay in my range 24 out of 28 days but for the month average in my range.
4. Take 1 Strength Class during the week (in addition to my own), and 1 extra cardio class a week.
5. Continue working with my pshychologist.
I also want to spend more time reading and doing my crochet blanket for the BF. I want to have one day where I have the girls over for a day of scrapbooking!
All very doable - so I'll report back in on 3/1/09!