The Workout Scale
Thursday, May 29, 2008
After a bad flare-up of fibromyalgia, I feel good enough to resume some form of exercise (I had only been doing a little bit of stretching). I also decided that I need to take it easy to avoid aggravating my symptoms again. So, I decided to create a scale that will represent (generally) which exercises are appropriate based on how I am feeling. The scale goes from 1 to 6, with 1 being a really bad day and 6 being a really good day.
1. Stretching, gentle yoga, or relaxation and breathing exercises
2. Low-intensity core exercises, low-intensity walking
3. Gentle exercises with stability ball or resistance bands, Pilates
4. Moderate walking, more challenging Pilates, stability ball
5. Exercises with dumbbells (enough to tire my muscles, but not to failure)
6. More intense cardio (higher-intensity walking, more challenging hiking, light aerobics e.g. bootcamp cardio video)
I should also note that I ALWAYS stretch after I work out, and try to stretch or do some gentle yoga even on "off" days, because it tends to make me feel much better.