If you're like me, you use your kitchen sponges for more than just dishes. To easily disinfect them, put them in the microwave for 60 seconds. Just be careful when removing them from the microwave. It will be hot!
Please note these are member-submitted secrets and are not reviewed by SparkPeople's health experts for accuracy. If you feel a secret is inappropriate, please click Report Inappropriate Secret and our staff will review it.
Advertisement -- Learn more about ads on this site.
The kitchen sponge is a vital tool to keeping the kitchen clean. You should replace your sponge at least once a week. Please only use the kitchen sponge to wash the dishes and wipe down counter tops for spills/crumbs. If you need to disinfect the counter tops because you just cut chicken or a chemical spilled, grab another sponge set aside just for cleaning or use a lysol wipe. You can stretch the kitchen sponge use to 30 days by popping it in the microwave with a little bleach once a week.
To keep bacteria from taking up permanent residence in your kitchen sponges, rinse them with water at the end of each day, squeeze, then put in the microwave for three minutes. Let cool before touching. Do the same with your cutting boards, if they are microwaveable.
I just discovered that if you microwave a wet kitchen sponge for 2 minutes on high, it kills 99% of the bacteria (including E Coli) and takes the funky smell out of it. Just make sure it's not a metalic scrubber and it's really wet.
As a little bonus, the steam from the wet sponge got my microwave nice and clean too. Just had to wipe it with a papertowel.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkTeams, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.