To store food, glass is probably a better choice. (There may be reasons to keep the plastic, you can decide.)
Glass can be used in the dishwasher and microwave.
When plastic is heated (in microwave or dishwasher) and then we eat from that plastic container, a "chemical" is released that can then be found in our bodies.
The chemical is BPA.
Here is a great link if you want to read more, copy and paste in your browser: http://www.5minutesforgoinggre
I no longer put plastic in my dishwasher. Not even knives with rubber handles. I wash all plastic by hand.
I microwave using glass and cover with waxed paper.