- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 10 oz. cans black beans, drained and slightly mashed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 10 oz. can stewed tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 6 medium whole wheat tortillas
- 1 cup low fat shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven 350° F.
2. Sauté 1 onion, 1 garlic clove on high heat while breaking up meat. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Stir in black beans. Set sauté pan aside.
3. Heat oil in another sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté remaining onion, until soft. Add remaining garlic, chili powder and cumin, sauté for 30 seconds. Add tomato sauce and tomatoes with juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer partially covered for 20 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Transfer all but 1/2 c sauce to meat and beans; Mix well.
4. Dip half the tortillas, one at a time, in the hot tomato sauce. Lay tortillas in the bottom of an 8.5 x 11 casserole dish. Spread half meat and bean mixture over tortillas. Sprinkle half the cheese over meat and beans.
5. Add another layer of tortillas and meat & beans mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 35 minutes or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes.