- 1 cup dried brown lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 1/2 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery stalks (including leaves,)chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Pour lentils in a bowl, cover with water, and allow to sit overnight.
2. Over medium heat, cook onions in olive oil in a large soup pan. Add garlic and celery. Once celery begins to soften, add carrots, tomatoes, bay leaf and vegetable stock.
3. Pour in drained lentils.
4. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and allow the soup to
simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Remove and discard bay leaf and add vinegar. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 servings.