- 1 lb. dry black beans
- 7 cups water
- 1 medium green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vinegar (or lemon juice)
- 6 cups rice, cooked in unsalted water
- 1 jar (4 oz.) sliced pimento, drained
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
1. Pick through beans to remove bad beans. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
2. In large soup pot or dutch oven stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil 1 hour.
3. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 3-4 hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
4. Remove about 1/3 of the beans, mash and return to pot. Stir and heat through.
5. Remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice when ready to serve.
6. Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Yield: 6 Servings