Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

Call your doctor or dentist immediately if you suffer a blow to your jaw, and you have any of the following symptoms:

  • Your jaw is deformed, crooked or shifted out of its normal midline position.

  • You have a painful lump in your jaw or below your ear.

  • Your teeth don't fit together properly or your bite is "off".

  • You have missing or loose teeth.

  • There is a painful swelling or a bruised area in the gum covering your jawbone.

  • You have difficulty opening your mouth or have pain in your jaw joint.

  • Your chin and lower lip are numb.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Broken Jaw Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.