Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School



Your doctor will treat your fractured jaw by either realigning the fractured pieces of bone with wires or by repairing the break with metal plates and fine screws. If fragments of bone have pierced the skin or if teeth were lost or loosened, your doctor will prescribe an antibiotic, usually penicillin or clindamycin (Cleocin), to reduce the risk of infection.

Page 6 of 9     Next Page:  Broken Jaw When to Call A Doctor
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.