Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

It's important to regularly examine your vulva and the area around it. Contact your doctor if you have

  • a rash that doesn't go away

  • itching or pain that doesn't go away

  • abnormal growths, bumps, or ulcers

  • any changes in the skin of the vulva.

Itchiness, abdominal pain, or fever can signal infection instead of cancer. You should see your doctor right away if you have any abdominal pain with fever.

Patients with vulvar cancer should see a specialist in gynecologic oncology.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Vulvar Cancer Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.