Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

Call your primary care doctor or a dermatologist if you have:

  • An itchy rash that does not respond to over-the-counter treatments

  • A rash that involves large areas of your body, including parts that are covered by clothing

  • A persistent rash that covers sun-exposed areas of your face, especially if you are a woman or a person of American Indian heritage

  • Abnormal bleeding under the skin in sun-exposed areas

Call for emergency help immediately if you suddenly develop hives together with swelling around your eyes or lips, faintness or difficulty breathing or swallowing. These may be signs of a life-threatening allergic reaction.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Sun Allergy (Photosensitivity) Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.