Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

If you think you have athlete's foot, try a nonprescription antifungal ointment, cream or powder. Keep your feet as dry and clean as possible. If these measures do not help, make an appointment to see your doctor. Call your doctor for a more urgent evaluation and treatment if you see spreading redness or have fevers.

If you have diabetes and any foot problems, see your doctor right away. People with diabetes easily get skin infections, so they should see a doctor as soon as anything unusual appears on their feet.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Athlete's Foot (Tinea Pedis) Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.