Health A-Z

Medical Content Created by the Faculty of the Harvard Medical School


When to Call A Doctor

Call a health care professional if you have any of the following symptoms; they can suggest a problem other than hereditary-pattern baldness:

  • Hair that falls out suddenly or in clumps

  • Patchy hair loss ("flea bitten" appearance)

  • Redness, flaking or scarring of the scalp in the area of hair loss

  • Hair loss in women under age 30

  • Signs of abnormally high testosterone levels in women, including abnormal menstrual periods, deepening of the voice, acne, hair loss in a male pattern or hair growth in unusual places (face, chest)

Most doctors or dermatologists will prescribe finasteride to men who would like to use it. If you are interested in cosmetic surgery, consult a cosmetic surgeon or dermatologist who specializes in hair restoration.

Page 7 of 9     Next Page:  Hereditary-Patterned Baldness Prognosis
Click here to to redeem your SparkPoints
  You will earn 5 SparkPoints
From Health A-Z, Harvard Health Publications. Copyright 2007 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College. All rights reserved. Written permission is required to reproduce, in any manner, in whole or in part, the material contained herein. To make a reprint request, contact Harvard Health Publications. Used with permission of StayWell.

You can find more great health information on the Harvard Health Publications website.