New Year's Resolution TeamsJoin People with Similar Goals
-- By Nicole Nichols, Fitness Instructor & Health Educator
New Year's resolutions—a new year for a new you, right? Why is it that you have so much motivation and momentum when January 1st rolls around, but your drive for success freezes up and comes to an abrupt stop within a few weeks? Well, that could be due to lots of things—a failure to plan, an expectation for instant results, or a lack of support. But this year, SparkPeople can help you reach all of your goals, no matter what they are! That's where Teams come in.
Each year, people tend to set the same types of resolutions, like exercising, losing weight, or learning something new. Below, you'll find this year's top 10 resolutions, along with specific SparkTeams that will offer you support, motivation, and encouragement to reach your goals, from saving more money to organizing your life. If you don't find a Team that meets your resolution needs, feel free to start one of your own!
1. Spend more time with family/friends. Several recent polls show that the majority of Americans want to spend more time with family and friends this year. These Teams can help support you in your goals and find balance between work and family life:
- Working Parents: Share your tips for balancing family and work.
- Families with Special Needs: A team for parents who have special needs children and who want the best for their children.
- Spark Homeschooling Parents: Homeschool your kids? Join us! We have challenges in finding time to exercise and planning meals on a low (usually one-income) budget.
- Moms & Dads at Home: A group for those who deal with the special stresses (and joys) of spending the day caring for their household.
- SparkGuy's 10-Minute Fitness Club: A Team for anyone who wants to build a consistent fitness habit by doing at least 10 minutes of fitness most days of the week.
- Rookie Running Group: This is a group of people that enjoy running, and are at various stages in their training programs. Come on in and join this very motivational, fun Team!
- Walk Across America: From our starting point, we are tracking our miles walked, enjoying the scenery and each other's company, and losing weight as we go.
- 10,000 Steps-a-Day: This group is for everyone that wears a pedometer and strives to reach 10,000 steps a day.
- Workout after Work Challenge: Pledge to work out after work for a certain number of days per month! Support each other, make great friends and have fun!<pagebreak>
- 100 Plus Club: For all people who are trying to lose 100 pounds or more.
- 50+ Pounds to Lose: A support Team for those who need to lose 50 or more pounds and want or need support and advice along the way.
- 20 Pounds to Go: A Team for anyone who needs support to lose 20 pounds or more. Let's support each other.
- 10 Pounds & Under: We are a wonderful group of people looking to lose those last few stubborn pounds!
- Women on a Mission: This is for women who are truly serious about their weight loss journeys, who enjoy being pushed and challenged.
- Gain Positivity, Lose Weight: This Team is set up to spread positivity to all who need it. We're a group of people with a lot of pounds to lose, but with positive attitudes, we can do it!
- No More Smoking: A Team that supports all people who are not smoking any longer and those trying to become ex-smokers.
- Smoke-Free (or Working at It): Everyone working at building a healthier lifestyle without smoking is welcome on this Team.
- Dealing with Depression: This is a group where people dealing with depression can support each other as we eat right, exercise, lose weight, and find ways to manage our depression.
- Love to Travel: Do you love to travel? Visiting new locations can be interesting and fun whether for vacation or for work, but maintaining healthy habits can be a challenge. Do you have a travel tip to share? Join us!
- Challenge Yourself to Think Positive: This Team helps you think positive thoughts every day and feel better about yourself.
- Cutting Down the Booze: A group for people who want to cut alcohol down to the bare minimum in order to have a better lifestyle.
- Recovery Club: Anyone is welcome here, especially those in recovery from smoking, drugs, alcohol etc.<pagebreak>
- SparkGuy's Savings Jar Club: A Team for anyone looking for motivation to save money and reduce debt. Happy savings!
- Personal Financial Planning: With personal financial planning, we learn to acquire, use, and control our financial resources more efficiently. Gain more enjoyment from your income and improve your standard of living!
- Money Savers: Join others in starting a debt-free diet.
- Knitters: A group of people who knit, crochet, or do all kinds of yarn crafts.
- Gardening: Anyone interested in any type of gardening for fun or professionally can join us.
- Quilters & Crafters: Welcoming all quilters and crafters to join together and share our hobby as we travel the road of healthier living.
- Geocaching: Do you love to go geocaching? Would you like to find out how you can use geocaching as a way to get out and exercise? This will be a great way for people to share their adventures.
- Nontraditional Students: Discuss weight-affecting factors of nontraditional (adult) college students. Perfecting goals to balance work, studies & home while getting or staying healthy & fit.
- College Students: This group is for college students who are looking to get healthier and need a little support from those in a similar situation.
- Weight Loss Clothing Drive: You lose, and others win! SparkPeople is teaming up with FitSugar.com to donate your baggy clothes to the Salvation Army and other charities across the globe. All are welcome to join!
- Walking for a Cause: A group for people who are training to walk or run for a charity or cause, like the Three Day, Walk to Cure Diabetes, Relay for Life, etc.
- Organic, Ethical Eaters & Other Crunchy People: A place for like-minded crunchy people to get together and make the world a better place through ethical food choices and environmental practices.
- Organized Life: This is a group for those not only trying to lose weight but also trying to organize their lives.
- Flybabies Striving for Excellence: A group for "Flybabies" (Sidetracked Home Executives) striving for a healthy lifestyle.
Happy Holidays and good luck reaching your goals!