Weekend Survival GuideStay Healthy and Still Have Fun!
-- By Jen Mueller, Certified Personal Trainer
Can you relate to this desperate dieter’s dilemma?
“I'm pretty good about my diet and exercise program during the week. But when the weekend comes, all of that hard work goes out the window! I constantly find myself ‘starting over’ every Monday morning. How do I get out of this unproductive cycle?!”
One reason weekends are so difficult is that you fall out of your regular daily routines. There are always potlucks, dinners, dates and family gatherings, where trouble is lurking in the form of buffet lines or rich desserts. Weekend menus can also be more difficult to plan - and without a plan, you're more likely to stray from the healthy habits you have been working so hard to develop.
The “Weekend Survival Guide” is designed to help your diet survive those dreaded weekends. Keep it with you - in your purse, in the car - wherever you go. The checklist and helpful tips can keep you focused and on track. Meanwhile, the inspirational quotes can give you a boost of well-timed motivation. If nothing else, remember this: when you start feeling the temptation to slip, ask yourself how you will feel about your decisions once Monday morning rolls around.
TIPS FOR TURNING AWAY TEMPTATION
- Plan family activities like bike rides or outdoor games. This helps you spend time with your family and burn calories all at once!
- Carry a water bottle with you to your weekend activities. This will help you get your water for the day and resist the temptation to reach for a soda or other caffeinated beverage.
- Set some "weekend specific" goals for yourself based on the realities of what you’ll be doing. They may look very different than your weekday goals, and that’s okay.
- If you are going to be out all day, pack some healthy snacks in case you get hungry. There is nothing worse than being hungry at the mall, and the only food options are ice cream or pizza.
- Set Monday as your weigh-in day. You are more likely to resist temptation if you have to face the scale first thing Monday morning.
- Plan ahead!! If you are going out to eat, find the restaurant's menu (and any available nutritional information) online. You’ll have plenty of time to make a healthy choice before you get there.
- Don't save all of your splurging for the weekends. Allowing yourself a few treats throughout the week will help you avoid the mindset that the weekend is an excuse to go bonkers. And by spacing your treats evenly, you're less likely to get sudden, irresistible cravings.
With a little extra effort and planning, you can turn weekends into an enjoyable experience and an opportunity to keep your program moving in the right direction!
Click here to download your own copy of the Weekend Survival Guide!