Any kind of super-refined sweetener, including sugar alcohols, is probably bad news over the long haul. Too much sweet, like too much anything, has a deleterious effect on the body, whether it's low cal or low-whatever. We just need to learn to keep the sweet tooth from getting the upper hand.
3/22/2010 2:55:02 PM
I have been wondering about sugar alcohols too. They are used in sugar free chocolates and other treats I eat. Some sugar free food is advertised as having no sugar alcohols like they are something to be avoided. I feel better about them after reading the article.
I avoid these like the plague! I tried one piece of WW sugar free toffee when they were sampling it at Costco. Within 45 minutes I had the worst stomach pain I have ever known and spent most of the rest of that afternoon in the bathroom and feeling sick. All that from ONE PIECE. I still have something sweet now as part of my plan but it is something made with regular sugar or maybe Splenda. I'd rather do it that way than EVER go through that again.
good article. i just bought some south beach high protein peanut butter cereal bars because of their low calories and high protein. i noticed they had sugar alcohol...which i was trying to figure out. the bar was alright. it was soooo sweet. sweeter than im used to at least. i was a little worried that the sugar alcohols might not be good for you but they seem to be alright from this article.
2/23/2009 11:43:32 AM
my daughter is type 1 diabetic and her nutritionist told us not to let her have anything with sugar alcohols in it because it would upset her stomach. i have tried them, they make me sick too.
This is a helpful article. A controversy apparently exists, however, in how to count sugar alcohols when decreasing one's carbs. I am not suggesting an article on a low-carb diet; however, since everyone would do well to decrease their level of "sweets" and desserts, etc., perhaps an article on whether the fact that sugar alcohols are absorbed slower is helpful to one's diet or not might also be educational.
XYLITOL!! It won't cause digestion problems, it's been in use for years in Europe, since WW2, observation and studies show it lowered the incidence of ear infections, and it's not just "not bad" for your teeth - it is GOOD for your teeth and bones! Don't know why this is not better known in the US. Check out www.zellies.com for one perspective (mostly dental)
I wish I had read this a month ago! I bought some chewy candy, kind of like gummis, that were made with sorbitol. I ate a few too many and wound up with fun digestive issues for days! Everything in moderation guys.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkTeams, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.