It is true that working long hours leaves you exhausted. And having a family at home that also has some demands and expectations. I find it difficult to leave home after dinner and take "time away from family" - I am much too exhausted and I also feel guilty.
Now a month ago I bought a good and wellfunctioning bike, the right clothes for wind and rain. Told my daughter who is studying for her final examen, that she could count on having the car all summer, during day and evening.
In rush hour I have 70 minutes to work, out of rush hour I have around 35 minutes in car.
That gives transport time in the range between 70 - 140 minutes.
Now I go on bike - that takes 110 minutes each way. That is 220 per day .
220 minus 140 is a little over an hour. So by investing only that hour I get 3.5 hours exercize equals to around 1800 calories burned each day.
What is interesting here is, that it is obvious that I cannot do the shopping on bike - so that goes to the weekend, and saves gas. Everybody (my self included) somehow seem to accept transport time better than taking time out for exersize - which means that family has concluded that I have become much less "selffocused" and are "stealing" less time from family compared to when going exersizing. Actually it is almost the same, going to a gym, change clothes and go home again wil take an hour or longer. BUT instead of one hour exersize, I get 3.5!
I have important businessmeetings at high levels, which demands different clothes when arriving at work. I shower at work and redress. I have a bunch of clothes at work in a closet some for hot weather and some for colder, so I can dress accordingly to expectations and customers. I have hairdryer, makeup etc there as well.
Once every 14 days - when in that part of town for other reasons (for example powershopping for groceries and food for family) - I bring new piles of stuff to work that I find too bulky to have on bike. Extra T-shirts and panties is no problem, but ironed jackets etc is a challenge to transport on bike.
My husband asked why I had changed preferred supermarket - and I told that I found they had better savings and offers.......... - the truth is that it was close to work and therefore easy to drop of piles of clothes.
Now the only challenge here is getting from the bike to the office, get hold of clothes and get to shower before too many of your employees sees you in a condition you might not want to be recognized in. But wearing a pair of sunglasses is enough. Most of them does not even recognize me in that outfit, as it is so far away from what they expect to see, that they do not even combine the two pictures. I know that cannot go on forever - but anyway - this thing works for me. I am lucky that I do have a route where it is safe to bike - but honestly I have lived in my house for 19 years and I had NO clue that there 80 meter beside the highway actually was a bike path all the way parallel to the highway.
So what is the conclusion?
- Overall time saved as workout after work is difficult to do in less than one hour.
- 3.5 hours of exersize per day.
- 1800 calories burned per day.
- Body shape is changing fast now.
- Pretty efficient when starting the days work - somehow all that cardio does something for the brain.
- Eating patterns has changed, body craves heavier fiberrich food and less of the wrong stuff.
- Brain flushed for thoughts before arriving at home.
- Less work stuff is roaming around in the head and keeping me from becoming sleepy. Yes I was exhausted before - but that did not make me fall to sleep. I was just zombiing in front of the TV - and using snacks to fill the void.
- Now my body is tired as hell, I go to bed 2-3 hours earlier, which prevents me from eating anything after dinner - I am terrific at multitasking and has developed that skill during a lifetime - but eating while sleeping I have still not learned to master.
- I get 2-3 more hours of sleep each night - because now I can fall asleep and I wake up refreshed and ........... sore in the body as hell - but it seems as 14 days is the peak.
- I am selling my bike now - and buying a new one - a professional racing bike, and will tell family that unless it is icy and snowstorm - shopping will now continue to happen in the weekends.
- and yes - sleeping might not be considered being with the family - but at least they know where you are - and my hope is that I in due time will be a little less tired. And zombiing in front of the TV - is that actually creating value time?
Did you know how intense the feeling of being alive is - when you bike in rainy weather? As long as you have the right clothes and an ability to change at arrival.
It is wonderful!
Did you know how different you suddenly feel when passing blooming trees, hearing the birds singing and even passing a bakery and discovering that although you enjoy the smell of freshly baked bread there is no craving as you naturally ate some of the right stuff before going on your bike?
Do you know? Did you know? Have you forgotten how you felt when you were a kid and had used your body all day - and went to bed, filled with a healthy wornout feeling and not feeling guilty about it?
- 5/29/2009 8:20:34 AM