I understand your size doesn't necessarily make you fit or unfit but I hope people don't think you can exercise and still not follow a sensible eating plan. Sensible being defined as 90/10. Healthy eating and within your allotted calories 90% of the time, while having a splurge the other 10% of the time. You cannot, no matter how hard you try, out exercise a bad diet.
I know people do not want to use that dirty "D" word...diet. But those changes are important and necessary! Call it what you want, eating healthier, choosing to not eat like crap, lifestyle change, whatever, changing the intake of your food is a MUST!
I believe just as much emphasis has to be put on one as the other. Diet and Exercise go hand in hand and it sucks when you FINALLY understand that, and you realize just what that means and what you have to be willing to do but it's worth it. Not easy by any means, but absolutely worth it!
Everything on TV or magazine articles seem to want us to do this one extreme thing for X amount of time and then POOF, you will have the body you never thought you could and be "healthy and fit". There is no ONE THING that will make you fit and healthy and there is no "end". You choose to eat healthier and exercise. That becomes your life, not for 60 days or 90 days, for the rest of your life. Just like this article said, there are many factors to be considered in determining health, likewise, you must make multiple changes in your life to get on the road to a healthier you.
I don't think one success story from SparkPeople will tell you that the weight they have lost and their accomplishments have been easy but they will all agree it's been worth it. And after reading several success stories on Spark, I have noticed they all have one thing in common...they changed their eating habits and they exercised!
The article points out the obvious...that making multiple changes to eating and including exercise is daunting. Yeah well no kidding, of course it is! That is why it takes people so many tries and attempts to lose the weight. It is certainly daunting but it is not impossible and it's not fast either! That is what people lose sight of sometimes. This is certainly the stupidity that Lori's doctor suffers from...thinking weight loss is fast. Weight loss is gradual. Weight loss from exercise and healthier eating tends to be permanent weight loss!
Keep doing what you're doing Lori!
- 7/5/2012 4:56:09 PM