That's interesting. I used to cook type of grains called " Freekeh", I don't know what does it mean in English. It is very tasty , can be found whole grain or even ground to make a soup from it and like what you mentioned adding some flavors does really make a difference. This is how I cook the Freekeh grains with chicken:
- in a Saucepan Golden the chicken pieces with little bit of olive oil, season with salt and black pepper only then leave aside.
- add a chopped onion into the same oil and keep to tender on low heat with lid on for about 5 minutes.
- Add 250g of Freekeh grains and keep stirring every 2 minutes for 10 minutes untill you hear a sound like rattle shaker, add black pepper and half tsp of Cinnamon stir then leave aside.
- Return the chicken and the Freekeh into the saucepan add the chicken broth to cover the freekeh 3 cm over it.
- on high heat bring it to boil then reduce to the minimum and leave to cook for 50 minutes.
It is very tasty, healthy and not fatty at all and the best to skin the chicken and remove any fat seen. As any grain you have to count the calories. Enjoy..
- 6/19/2010 3:44:02 AM