|Author:||Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:||
Happy Navratri to all friends at Indian food and fitness
Thanks Rekha. I am the only one fasting in my family so have to make regular vegetarian food plus vrat food. It gets difficult sometimes and I end up just eating fruits and drinking a cup of milk. Usually aloo raita, sabudana kichdi or fruits is all i eat.
Rekha - Thanks for the helpful tips! Does this mean that typically most people that are fasting do not eat vegetables such as spinach, eggplant, peas, beans, etc.?
Thanks for all that good information looks like no sweet potatoes for me now.
Never give up!
If you dont succeed, t
try, try again!
For those who are fasting during navratri
Navratri Specials (Food Eaten During Navratri)
1. No onion and garlic are used in the food during nine days
2. No chemical salt but only rock salt is used
3. Spices used are red chillies, cumin, black jeera, turmeric, choti elachi, saboot kali mirchi, khuskhus and water melon seeds
4. Fresh coriander, green chillies and ginger are used
5. Fruits, nuts, dry fruits, coconut, sugar, makhanna, and milk products like milk, yoghurt, cream and paneer are used
6. Flours used are -- Sighare ka atta, kottu ka atta, rajgiri ka atta, saboodana and arrowroot
7. Oil and ghee are used to cook food
8. Vegetables used are -- potatoes can be used with peel to protect the fiber , sweet potatoes,pumpkin, raw papaya, raw banana, yam, lemon,curry patta, water chestnut
some of the good navratri recipes . pick and choose healthy one,s
Few healthy options
vegetable juice which is made out of bottle gourd (lauki), tomato, apple and a little bit of ginger (adrak) will provide mega shots of the Vitamin A, Vitamin B and Vitamin C to serve as antioxidants to prevent cancer. Vitamin C is an antioxidant that has been shown to boost the immune system, fight cancer and lower the risk of heart disease.
# Eat lots of fruits to rid the liver of toxic cholesterol accumulation. In fruits you can have apples as they are rich in pectin, a soluble fiber, which is effective in lowering cholesterol levels. If you are taking a low cholesterol diet then avoid consuming too much of dairy as it can push cholesterol up significantly.
People who want to lose weight during this fasting period should choose foods wisely. You can choose foods such as bottle gourd (lauki) raita, pumpkin (kaddu) raita, fruits like apple, pears (nashpati) and papaya (papita), cucumber (kheera), some amount of potato, navratra rice (samak ke chawal), phul makhane (puffed lotus seeds)kuttu (buckwheat).
There are some foods that needs to be avoided like sweet potato (shakarkand), paneer (can use low fat varities), sabudana (sago), and whole milk. Drink luke warm water with lemon to aid in cleansing. Also, avoid eating late at night.