DO NOT ADD NEW POSTS TO THIS FORM!!
You may reply to the posts in this section, or contact me if I have missed something...but please, please don't add new posts to this form! This is still a work in progress.. I have gotten almost all done.. still working on #15 and Team Members Speak Out in each of the subjects.
I would like to give a sweet mama from babyfit a special thank you for giving me permission to use her info. Thank you Christine Amsden!! Also, I want to invite you all to look at her new website! www.christineamsden.com
One of the choices we all have to make is how to feed our babies. This is a personal choice and I have no intention of trying to pressure anyone, but for those of you who are interested in breastfeeding or who are at least considering it, I wanted to offer a series of "classes" on breastfeeding how-to. The reason is simple: one of the biggest reasons women quit breastfeeding is lack of information and preparation. I don't want that to be your reason. :=)
So I am proposing to post a series of "Breastfeeding 101" topics that will address a wide variety of topics and concerns.
These lessons are for moms who:
1. have breastfed before (come and share your wisdom...I don't know everything!)
2. have not breastfed before
3. have had trouble breastfeeding before
4. are not sure if they want to breastfeed or not
5. don't think they can breastfeed but would like to know for sure
6. are planning to try part time breastfeeding with formula supplements
Those of you who have decided to fully and exclusively formula feed your babies will not get much out of these posts. I hope you can find ways to support and encourage one another and for those of you who don't know.
Please, though, this is NOT a topic for debate. If you want to debate formula vs. breast milk, feel free to go elsewhere. I probably won't join you there. :=)
This topic is just an introduction, to let you know what I plan to do and to enlist the help of those who have breastfed before. Here are the topics I plan to cover:
Part I: Breast Feeding Basics
2. Why Breastfeed?
3. Getting Started (including latching, frequency of feeding, importance of nursing, colostrum/mature milk, bottle warning)
4. The First 6 weeks (including growth spurts and supply indications)
5. The golden age (including the normal course of BF from about 2 months on)
7. Weaning (before 1 year, after 1 year, baby led, and mom led)
Part II: Living your Life
8. Returning to Work AKA Pumping
9. The Role of the Daddy
10. Drugs and alcohol
Part III: Struggles
***13. Getting Support
14. Milk Supply (over and under supply and how to identify)
15. Common Issues
I will be using resources from www.kellymom.com and www.lalecheleague.com to help me with these topics and to lend credibility to what I'm saying. (I'm just some lady on the Internet, after all!) I urge you to read not only my posts, but also any links I provide as I do not want to "reinvent the wheel" and rewrite entire articles that are perfectly well written already. Mostly, I want to show you where to find the information, provide personal experience, and provide a forum for questions and alternate points of view from other successful BF moms.
If you can think of a question that you do not believe is covered by the topics I listed, please let me know about it. I'll either tell you when I plan to cover it, add a new topic, or answer the question.
Edited by: ROAD2HEALTHY at: 1/5/2009 (22:55)
| current weight: 151.0