I wish I could use a bike. I however cannot. I have Cauda Equina syndrome, you may not have heard of it. I won't go into what it is here, but it is nerve damage to the nerves to the bowel and bladder. It can happen to anyone, very quickly, and it needs immediate emergency medical intervention 99% of the time. The other 1%, it has been caused by surgery, sometimes no ones fault, and on a few occasions, ankolosing spondolosis can cause it.
Anyhow, when I first had my first surgery, 7 years today ironically enough, (this time of night too, - just past midninght) my surgeon sent me for physio therapy hoping I could get back some nerve function.
It was horific. The physio therapist didn't understand my condition and all 3 of my discs within 2 months of my surgery had re-herniated.
I am not saying this will happen to any of you, as this was my case. However, using a bike for me, is dangerous. It doesn't work for us all. I wish.
Hoping you all have a great night, thought I would put in my 2 cents LOL
~I have spread my dreams under your feet- tread softly, for you tread on my dreams~-
I've got the "EX 1000" Recumbent exerciser. I can move it anywhere in the home. I mainly leave it by the couch because that is where I like to use it. I usually use it in the morning before I eat breakfast, maybe I should use it AFTER I eat breakfast, HUH?lol It is just a gyro wheel with pedals, If I were to plug it in, the recumbent cycle would be much easier to peddle John
Take care and be well. John/New York
Fitness Minutes: (39,537) Posts: 24,783 7/24/09 6:57 P
All the pictures I have seen of the recumbent bike they are ALL leaning a bit backward, and the legs stretched out too far. Can they be altered, because if that is how they all come it would be a "no go" for me. I have to have adjustable backs to chairs, and the angle that I have seen has the legs stretched out in front. Unless they were alterable they wouldn't be much cop for me.
A regular stationery bike causes my back to hurt, but a recumbent bike does not since it is like sitting in a chair. I use to bike for miles over hills, etc. before falling off a ladder and injuring my back. Now I can only ride a recumbent bike some days. Determining what exercise helps each person is a matter of trail and error.
Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.
Whatever you do in life, think higher and feel deeper. C. Artias
Your personal history is not your true identity. Don't let the past define who you are.. Eckart Tolle
You are the architect of your actions, words and voice. What an opportunity for love, truth and purpose to shine. Sister Andrea Jaegar
Accept each moment as if you had chosen it. That frees you
Pounds lost: 5.0
Fitness Minutes: (39,537) Posts: 24,783 7/23/09 5:21 P
I tried a stationery bike for a while - it caused severe back and hip problems. Obviously I stopped. My doctor commented that "it isn't for everyone, but it if IS for you, then it is a very good form of exercise."
Bicycling Relieves Back Pain,and I can attest to that. Good morning all, I went to Ireland with my brother and his wife on July fourth through July twelve. Riding our bikes for significant mileage each day. I made it only to 14 miles the first day,out of 32. I almost made it half way. I have a severe lung disease COPD, chronic obstructive lung disease. In Europe and elsewhere it is known as; Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease. And I have exercise induced Asthma, lucky me, huh? The reason I stopped at 14 miles is, well when my lips turned blue and my lungs felt like exploding,I figured it's time to stop. I rode every day to only either 14-16 miles per day. I would stop when my fingernails turned blue,my lips would be blue too. I was elated to feel my lower upper and cervical spines felt no pain all week. It wasn't until a week after coming home that I felt the back pain again. For this reason,I plan to buy a used "Hybrid" mountain bike. A hybrid bike is the same as the regular mountain bike except the tires are different more like a wide ten speed bikes tire. John
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.