1. Steamfresh veggies: Usually they're about $1.25 per bag, OR 88 cents if you choose the generic brand. I'll sometimes eat a bag of mixed vegetables or potatoes with green beans for lunch.
2. Frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts: Wait until a 5 lb. bag goes on sale, and that will definitely last you a few weeks.
3. Eggs: Imagine the possibilities here.
4. Whole wheat bread: Once again, watch for loaves of whole wheat bread to go on sale. I rarely eat the same brand 2 weeks in a row, but I've always been able to find some on sale.
5. Fresh vegetables: These are usually cheap. It's easy to sauté peppers and mushrooms and put them over rice or in an omelette.
6. Snacks: Fruit! I also buy a tub of light vanilla yogurt. This usually lasts me about a week, and I can add fruit or granola for a filling snack in between classes.
Try to avoid pre-packaged meals, because those are expensive and you won't get any left-overs. I try to keep it to one or two a week for those days when I just don't feel like doing ANYTHING.
Being on a tight budget of $25/week for groceries has forced me to be creative. Happy eating!
| current weight: 112.4