Let's have an eat-down-the-pantry challenge for the month of February! The holidays are over, and in March there will be lots of frozen food sales going on because March is 'Frozen Food Month' in grocery stores due to the cyclical nature of frozen foods production.
So why don't we save a pretty penny by making use of what we've squirreled away, clean out our freezers, pantries, and kitchen cupboards; use up the old, and make room for the new?
You know that mystery package in the freezer you've been shoving to the back because you don't want to deal with it, and those dust-covered items in the pantry?
Yep, we all have'm; time to dig in, search for expiration dates, open up and inspect, etc. We'll Spring Clean our pantries, shelves and freezers in the process.
We will focus on what we have at home, first, and shop from our own pantries first. Then supplement at the grocery store only as needed. Between that and menu planning, we will save a BUNDLE in the month of February, eat out less, and lose weight more!
Some of you who do this regularly already may be thinking there's not much to find challenging; please join us so we can make use of your experience! We need you!
This thread is to gauge interest; if there's enough interest we'll definitely do it the whole month, and/or til interest falls off, whichever comes first. Some of our weekly topics will be (all optional of course):
- Pampering Rewards or Charity: post what you will do with the $ you saved in grocery buying and eating out. Will you give yourself weekly pampering rewards, or donate all or part of your monthly savings to a community or church food bank? Pay down debt with the savings?
- Posting Our Pantry Recipes (not all will be CP & that's ok)
- Posting Our Menu Planning
- Posting Our Starting and Ending Weight for the Month
- Slow Cooking with Chinese New Year in mind
- Batchcooking Meats
- Slow Cooking with Saint Valentine's in Mind
- Batchcooking Sauces and Broths (Italian, pizza, chicken, beef, veggie)
- Batchcooking Dried Beans
By the end of the month we might have only oddball things left to use up. That's fine, we can search SparkRecipes and other sites like AllRecipes for just that one item, or bounce ideas off of each other until we find a crock pot recipe for it.
Who's in? Hit the Reply button and sign up if you want to; if enough people sign up then I'll post weekly overviews plus daily stuff in a new thread beginning Monday Jan 31st (everyone will still do their own menus and recipes, of course), and I'll add The Pantry Challenge to team page as a Team Challenge.
| current weight: 303.0