1. Now I'd like you to think of something that already motivates you. It may be your favourite sport or pastime, a political cause, a loved one, your family – or something you feel particularly passionate about. If nothing springs to mind immediately ask yourself, if you had won a lottery jackpot - how motivated would you be to go and collect the cheque? Or how motivated would you be to save the life of your closest friend? Or if the most attractive person in the world asked you out on a date - how motivated would you be to accept? Whatever motivates you most right now, I'd like you to visualize the scene - seeing it from your own eyes as though it's here now. See again what you saw, hear what you heard and feel exactly how you felt
2. Now notice all the details, make the colours richer, bolder and brighter. Make the sounds clearer and the feelings stronger. that's right, and as the feelings build to a peak squeeze together your finger and thumb.
3. Now keep going through that movie. As soon as it finishes, start it again, all the time feeling that motivation and squeezing your thumb and finger together. See what you saw, hear what you heard and feel that motivation.
4. OK now stop, relax your fingers. Move about a bit. Ok lets test you motivation trigger. Squeeze your thumb and finger together and relive that good feeling.
5. OK, it’s time to make you feel motivated about taking exercise. Squeeze your thumb and finger together and remember how it feels to feel motivated. Now imagine exactly what it’s going to be like to take exercise. Imagine things going perfectly, going exactly the way you want them to go. See what you’ll see, hear what you’ll hear, and feel how good it feels. As soon as you have done that go through it again, associating motivation to taking exercise.
6. OK on a scale of 1-10 how motivated do you feel now about taking exercise. The number you have now will let you know how much more you need to do the preceding technique.
7. The next point may seem simple, but is worth repeating. Take at least one action every day that moves you towards your goals. It may seem a bit obvious, but too many people plan their success, dream of success, but never get started. It is very important to get into action. Today and every day do at least one thing that is part of making your dreams come true. If you have to knock down a wall, it won't fall over if you just push at it - but however big it is you can always dismantle it one brick at a time. Every goal, however large, can be broken down into small goals, just as every journey, however long, starts with a single step. Each day, make sure that you take at least one more step towards success.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.