|Author:||Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:||
Living With Back Pain
10 Back-Saving Habits
Everyday activities, from vacuuming your house to sitting in front of the computer for hours, can take a toll on your back, particularly if you arenít schooled in proper body mechanics. But you can take some of the pressure off your back by following these simple tips:
1. While standing to perform ordinary tasks like ironing or folding laundry, keep one foot on a small stepstool.
2. Donít remain sitting or standing in the same position for too long. Stretch, shift your position, or take a short walk when you can.
3. When bending from the waist, always use your hands to support yourself.
4. When sitting, keep your knees a bit higher than your hips and bend them at a 90-degree angle. Sit with your feet comfortably on the floor. If your feet donít reach the floor, put a book or a small stool under them.
5. Because vacuuming can take a toll on your back, tackle rooms in chunks, spending no more than 5Ė10 minutes at a time doing this task.
6. Choose an office chair that offers good back support (preferably with an adjustable backrest, lumbar support, armrests, and wheels) and set up your workspace so you donít have to do a lot of twisting.
7. Try not to overload briefcases or backpacks.
8. Make frequent stops when driving long distances.
9. While driving, sit back in your seat, and if your seat does not provide sufficient support, place a rolled blanket or some towels behind your lower back. Try to shift your weight occasionally. If you have cruise control, use it when you can. Also consider using a foam seat cushion to absorb some of the vibration.
10. Sleep on your side if you can, and curl your body up a bit. Also, choose a pillow that keeps your head level with your spine; your pillow shouldnít prop your head up too high or let it droop. Choose a mattress thatís firm enough to support your spine (so that it doesnít sag into the bed) and that follows your bodyís contours.
Show hospitality to strangers for, by doing that, some have entertained angels unawares.
Never stop helping others because others think that they abuse you. That stranger can be Jesus and you lose the opportunity to serve, even in something simple.