|Author:||Sorting Last Post on Top ↓ Message:||
Black Beans With Rice
1 pounds beans, black, dry
7 cup(s) water
1 medium pepper(s), green, bell, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cup(s) onion(s), chopped
1 tablespoon oil, vegetable
2 bay leaf
1 clove(s) garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar, (or lemon juice)
6 cup(s) rice, cooked in unsalted water
4 ounce(s) pimento, sliced and drained
1 lemon, cut into wedges
1. Pick through beans to remove bad ones. Soak beans overnight in cold water. Drain and rinse.
2. In large soup pot or Dutch oven, stir together beans, water, green pepper, onion, oil, bay leaves, garlic, and salt. Cover and boil for one hour.
3. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for three to four hours or until beans are very tender. Stir occasionally and add water if needed.
4. Remove and mash about 1/3 of beans. Return to pot. Stir and heat through.
5. When ready to serve, remove bay leaves and stir in vinegar or lemon juice.
6. Serve over rice. Garnish with sliced pimento and lemon wedges.
Nutritional Info (Per serving):
Calories: 508, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 206mg, Dietary Fiber: 14g, Total Fat: 4g, Carbs: 98g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Protein: 21g
Carb Choices: 5.5
Show hospitality to strangers for, by doing that, some have entertained angels unawares.
Never stop helping others because others think that they abuse you. That stranger can be Jesus and you lose the opportunity to serve, even in something simple.