OMG hamburger helper is sooooo bad for you. Have you read the ingredients? There are many recipes for a macaroni casserole that contain whole food ingredients that are cheaper and healthier.
Vegetarian Baked Pasta Recipe
Preparation: 30 minutes to prepare; 30 minutes to bake.
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1-2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
* 1 tbsp. olive oil (I saute in water)
* 3 cups tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce
* 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
* ½ tsp. dried oregano*
* 8 ounces whole wheat bowtie pasta, approximately 4 heaping cups dried pasta
* 12 ounces (1 package) soft or medium-firm tofu, drained and pressed
* 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and well drained
* ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
* 1/8 tsp. black pepper
* ½ -1 cup grated mozzarella cheese or cheddar (I use faux cheese or nutritional yeast as a cheese substitute.)
*oregano may be omitted if flavored spaghetti sauce is used.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and sauté gently for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add tomato sauce, oregano (if using) and parsley to the saucepan. Bring to the boil; cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente. Omit salt.
5. While pasta is cooking, mash tofu with fork or potato masher in a medium bowl. Add drained spinach, nutmeg, and pepper. Mix well.
6. Drain cooked pasta and add to the tofu mixture, mixing well.
7. In a 2-quart casserole dish, layer one-quarter of the sauce on the bottom. Spread one-third of the tofu mixture over top, carefully evening it out with a large spoon or spatula. Continue layering the spaghetti sauce with the tofu mixture, ending with sauce. Top with grated cheese.
8. Cover and bake 30 minutes.
| current weight: 116.1