Here's an article that may help you get through the holidays without a huge weight gain.
How To Control Your Weight During The Holiday Season by Patty Smith
voteThe holidays are here. This is the time of year when we celebrate and enjoy friends and family. This is a time when we look back over the year and reflex on our accomplishments and short comings. A time that kids can hardly wait to come because the know us parents are going to do everything we can to get them the desires of their hearts. This is also a time of year that brings tremendous stress. Cleaning the house, making room for out of town guests and grocery shopping for specialty treats has to be done. We much shop for grab bag gifts and family gifts. Office parties, family gatherings all have to be considered when scheduling our days. Holiday celebrations are seen as a relief in the day. We turn to food for comfort and plenty of the good stuff is there to ease our pains. It's no wonder that next to the financial stress the holidays usually bring weight gain is the second biggest worry. All the efforts that we have made during the year to control our weight can be lost between Halloween and Valentine's Day. The period between Thanksgiving and New Year's is the heavy hitter. No wonder we gain between 1 and 10 lbs during the holidays. Well here are some tips to gain control.
• Weight Yourself Daily - This will keep you focused on your weight and help target foods that could be causing bloating. It will also help you make better food choices at the next gathering
• Drink Plenty of Water - Even if you are not eating the healthiest foods drink water instead of soda and other sugary beverages. Limit your alcohol consumption because they have many calories and they decrease your will to select healthier foods.
• Focus on Conversations - Begin conversations with friends and family member that will last. You don't want to make the discussions drab because this is a time of celebration. Tell funny stories, ask people about what's going on in their lives. Most people love to talk about themselves. This may bore you but at least you won't be making triple rounds to the high calories treats.
• Take A 20 Minute Walk Everyday - Where you're actually shopping or window shopping make it a point to get to the mall (too cold outside) and take a walk. If you're in a store and can't find an item don't ask the clerk keep walking until you find what you're looking for. I'm sure you know how easy it is to walk around the mall for 20 minutes.
• Eat An Apple Before The Party - This will knock down the hunger pangs and you will have more control once you reach the party. Also don't skip breakfast and lunch because you're saving the calories for later. Your stomach has a brain of its own. It knows when you're trying to fool it. It will kick and scream for all the fatty foods just to spite you.
You can eat healthy during the holidays. Stay near the vegetable trays and eat smaller portions of the really good stuff. Follow a diet that will maintain your weight and maybe even take an inch off your weight. Even with January (Super Bowl Sunday) and Valentine's Day right around the corner the New Year does not have to hurt your scale. Your wallet, well that's another story. Eating healthy is just good for you so don't let the holiday's defeat you.
Edited by: SPIRIT_ANGEL at: 2/8/2009 (12:47)
| current weight: 242.0