Thank you for the good advice. I have an appointment with my doctor next month. I will keep a record and discuss the results and see if she can refer me to an allergist this time. I believe I asked her for such a referral once before but she sent me to a dermatologist because of my inflamed eczema at the time.
current weight: 176.0
Fitness Minutes: (38,675) Posts: 23,883 1/24/11 9:45 P
Make sure that between now and the appointment you keep a record of everything you eat and the time, AND any reaction you have had, how long that reaction lasted and what you did (or didn't do) for it to go.
ALSO make sure that you take with you as comprehensive a family history of allergies, eczema, asthma etc. for your family, as you can provide.
My little grandson had the normal skin-prick tests done which did show allergies, but skin-prick tests aren't the most accurate in the world and often only show "contact" allergies as opposed to ingested allergies. He also had RAST tests done which is more extensive and more accurate. This involves testing for each suspect. With these tests you can't use an antihistamine - orally or cream - for a while prior to the test otherwise you will get a false reading.
My G/Son ALSO had some hair samples taken by a Naturapath. They send it away and test for heaps of things - over 100, and my daughter had to specify some others she wanted testing. Where he was tested for the same as the RAST tests, they agreed with each other re the results, and it also showed up a number of other allergies.
When you are checking for food allergies on the "using/withholding" basis, you can only do one food at a time. There is also a big difference between an allergy and an intolerance - a lot of people confuse the two!
I've never heard of it but try seeing a Naturopathic Dr or Chiropractor(depending on the laws of your state). I have made more progress with my ND in 2 years than I have with Aleopathic Dr's than I did before.
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
I agree with you that working with a healthcare professional is the ideal route. However, in the past, I have had serious problems locating a health professional to help me identify all my allergens. I was even referred to a dermatologist who told me he did not believe in food allergies. I was shocked and told him that I almost died after having an allergic reaction to some lobster once. I was in Boston at that time and the hospital staff gave me an EpiPen to carry with me. He then acknowledged that some people did in fact have "true" allergies to shellfish, but insisted that in most cases, it was something else that was causing a reaction.
I already know many of my allergens, things like dust mites and airborne allergens like oak pollen, shellfish, eggs, citric acid, chocolate, anything that contains parabens and caines,flowers and perfumes,penicillin and sulfa drugs. I also suspect I am allergic to additives in processed foods because I am doing so much better since I switched to a whole food diet and stopped eating out.
However, because I do my best to stay clear of known allergens, I am thinking that something else is involved. I realize the test is old and needs to be carefully analyzed. Also, because the pulse has to be taken 14 times a day, I realize it is time consuming. Yet,given the difficulty I am having finding a health care practitioner to assist me, I am wondering if it could at least provide me with some guidance.
current weight: 176.0
Fitness Minutes: (38,675) Posts: 23,883 1/24/11 2:02 A
This test is 60-70 years old. I really don't think that it would pay to put too much credence in this as there are many other factors which need to be taken into account, AND you need to be accurate taking a pulse - surprisingly, a lot of people aren't. There are also a lot of variables with the pulse itself, i.e. regular, and irregular, and the irregular one can be erratic. There are a lot of health conditions and medications not related to allergies which can do this too. Also, a lot depends on whether you have moved, coughed, airborne allergens and even just scratching yourself can elevate your pulse.
The Pulse test doesn't actually say you ARE allergic to something you have consumed - only you MAY be. For the above reasons, I believe that the lay person is better to just make a note of symptoms with the accompanying foods eaten, and take them to a professional to analyze. I HAVE done this and monitored daily for a few months. It is VERY time consuming and needs total dedication and consistency.
I recently read The Pulse Test by Dr. Arthur Coca wherein he discussed a method of identifying one's allergies by taking one's pulse. The book can be viewed in its entirety at the link listed below. I would like to know if anyone has ever used the Pulse Test and whether they found it to be useful.
SparkPeople, SparkCoach, SparkPages, SparkPoints, SparkDiet, SparkAmerica, SparkRecipes, DailySpark, and other marks are trademarks of SparkPeople, Inc. All Rights Reserved. No portion of this website can be used without the permission of SparkPeople or its authorized affiliates.
SPARKPEOPLE is a registered trademark of SparkPeople, Inc. in the United States, European Union, Canada, and Australia. All rights reserved.