September first : Beating back the mind monkeys to think more positively.
September second : Coconut Chicken & Rice Soup
Prep time guesstimate : 10 minutes
Cooking time guesstimate : 15-20 minutes
Total time : about 30 minutes
Serves 2 as a meal
2/3 C lite coconut milk
2/3 C broth or water
½ t fish sauce
1 inch fresh ginger root
2 pieces of Star anise
1 C frozen peas
6 oz. cooked chicken breast, cubed
1 ½ C cooked rice.
½ t lime zest
1 lime, quartered
Ό C chopped green onions
Ό C chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
Sriracha hot chili sauce
1. Mix the coconut milk, broth or water, fish sauce, ginger root, and star anise in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. When the mixture comes to a boil, lower to a simmer and stir in the lime zest and the frozen peas. (While this simmers I usually chop my onions and cilantro, and quarter the lime.)
3. When the peas are warm, about three minutes, add the chicken, stir and simmer five minutes until the chicken is warmed through.
4. Remove the anise stars and the ginger nob.
5. Warm the rice (I usually throw it in the microwave for about 50 seconds, just to get the chill off)
6. Pour the soup over the rice.
7. Serve with the cilantro, scallions, a squeeze of lime and a few squirts of Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce.
One of the things I love best about Asian soups is that addition of fresh at the table! Everyone can add as much or as little as they like.This is also amazing with some Thai basil chopped in with the cilantro.
Note about using Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce : If you are not used to using Sriracha Sauce in a soup, be warned that the heat increases as the soup decreases!
You can substitute Chinese 5 spice powder for the star anise.
My nutrition calculator put each serving of soup (using lite coconut milk and water) at
6.5 grams fat
50.8 grams carbohydrates
26.5 grams protein
Edited by: SOXYINMO at: 9/3/2013 (06:51)
co-leader Scratch Cooking Team andromedaunbound.blogspot.com/
"Welcome to my morning
Welcome to my day
Yes, I'm the one responsible
I made it just this way"
| current weight: 148.0