These are the behaviors identified by the National Weight Control Registry that show up in successful maintainers. I started working on these when I was around my midpoint in weight loss, when I first became aware of the bleak statistics on maintenance (only 5-20% succeed).
The main ones they list on their website are:
1. Continued modification of food intake
2. Daily fitness
3. Eat breakfast
4. Self monitoring (understand weight, fitness and food interactions)
5. Less than 10 hours of TV per week (average is 24)
Others from their literature that I consider essential:
6. Utilize support and continuing education
7. Eat out less than 3x week, fast food 1x week
8. Gradually develop fitness up to 1 hour/day
9. Be vigilant of conditions that encourage overeating
10. Develop emotional regulation, especially resilience to setbacks
I've written a lot of exhaustive treatments on the subject of maintenance. I'm now trying to figure out how to present it as doable.
|65 Maintenance Weeks