If anyone has the Canadian Diabetic Diet...it would be eBay or Amazon! I have found that if you cannot find it anywhere else, you can definitely find it there!
There is a book entitled, "The Insulin Resistance Diet"....it details how the diet works, putting a balance between linking complex carbohydrates and proteins togher. It is very straight forward, provides tons of examples and appropriate serving sizes, etc. No having to guess how to do the diet at all. It even tests you with mini-challenges so you get how the diet is done (which I first hated, but it did help me learn from it). They even have recipes and such.
It's basic ideas are this:
- Eat three small meals and three tiny snacks a day.
- Meals should have no more than 30 grams of carbohydrate per sitting and paired with 15 grams or more of protein. This is your breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Snacks are to be no more than 15 grams of carbs paired with 7 grams or more of protein. Mid morning, mid afternoon and evening. Sometimes we only get in about two, rather than three snacks.
- You are to have two hours in between finishing a meal and starting a snack or another meal. Your body takes two hours to process everything and if you eat too early the extra carbs will store as fat and sugar.
- Eat tons of veggies. You can actually eat most kinds of veggies, as veggies, with exception of a few, are not counted as carbs (as happens on the Atkins and South Beach diets).
- Drink plenty of water and exercise as often as the doctors allow and safely.
That's kind of a run down of the diet, though the book is very informative. The key to the IR diet is balancing carbs and proteins together. If you eat a carb without a protein it will store as fat/sugar. By pairing the protein with it, the body uses more energy to process it, as it takes more energy to process a protein and uses up most of the carb so less is stored as fat/sugar so it affects the pancreas and liver less.
If your favorite is the Canadian Diet, than by all means, try doing a google search on that diet or even try eBay or Amazon, as I find the hardest to locate items on those websites, though sometimes I do have to google it.
Hope some of this helps.
Member of Living Healthy with Insulin Resistance/Low GI Diet Team
Member of Lowering Salt Intake Team
The greatest success is the ability to rise from failure.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. " - Walt Disney
| Pounds lost: 17.0