Father's Day Challenge
***Please sign up on this thread***
This challenge starts Thursday, May 15th and will last for 4 weeks until June 11th. Then you can relax for Father’s Day weekend.
This will be a team versus challenge. Teams will be divided based on what you want to do for Goal #1 (30 min daily exercise team or 10,000 steps team).
***I still don't have a captain for the Steps team***
If you'd like to be a team captain please let me know. Otherwise this will just be an individual challenge.
***If there's not a big enough turn out for the steps team, then I'll divide the teams randomly and you can choose if you want to do steps or minutes.***
Here's our weekly goals:
1) 30 min daily exercise (this can be cardio or strength training) or 10,000 steps daily
2) 8 glasses water/day
3) Weekly weigh in with measurements (we'll track Hips, Thighs, and Waist for points)
4) Weekly Choice Goal (You decide what you would like to work on and set a goal. This can be health or financial, food tracking, blogging, or even from another challenge you may be doing. This can change weekly or stay the same for the 3 weeks, your choice. If you want to include friends and family with this goal, feel free and be creative. Try to post what you are planning to do no later than the Wed prior to that week starting.)
5) Weekly Financial Challenge:
For these, try to share with your team what you did – it could be helpful to someone else.
* Week 1 (5/15-5/21) "Kitchen Clear-Out" – Use up all the old, nearing expiration items in your cabinets, fridge. This is for both food and other products (ex. Half-used bottles of cleaning products)
* Week 2 (5/22-5/28) "Protect The Planet" – This week’s focus is on things that save the planet and may also save you money. Try to do a different activity daily (Ex. Walk around your neighborhood collecting litter and sorting recyclables, walk/bike to your destination, save dishwater for plants, etc.)
* Week 3 (5/29-6/4) “Grocery Cost Cutting”- This week we’re going to shave a percentage off our food bill. Every family’s needs are different, so I want you to decide what you can do, but aim for 10%. This also includes eating out, vending snacks, convenience stores, and fast-food. If it goes in your mouth, try to save 10% of the total cost of what you normally spend. If you don’t know what you normally spend a week, estimate and shave off 10%. And record your spending to see how you’re doing.
* Week 4 (6/5-6/11) “Make A Healthy Meal Healthier”- For at least one meal a day (or all three if you can), change it to make it healthier. If you normally buy your lunch, pack it. If you usually eat white rice, switch to brown. If you’re having dessert, try berries in cool whip instead of cobbler and ice cream.
Here's How It Works:
It's a points based challenge. Everyone tracks their own points to contribute to a team average of points. Weeks run from Thursday to Wednesday, with posting on Thursday or Friday. Because we are trying to keep motivation high, and the group relies on each member to help earn points, we are going to do the following. Each week there is a possible 10 team points for participation. Each member that does not participate and weigh in on Thursday or Friday (no later) will cause the group to lose 1 of those 10 points. If any member does not participate 2 weeks in a row, they will be assumed to have left the challenge. Since team points are done on averages, members can come and go from the challenge at will. But please notify your team’s captain ahead of time so as to not hurt the team’s participation points. Here's how many points you can earn for each goal:
1) 30 min daily exercise/10,000 steps daily - 1 point per day, 3pts bonus for completing 4 out of 7 days (10pts max)
2) 8 glasses water/day - 1 point per day, 3pts bonus for completing 4 out of 7 days (10pts max)
3) Weekly weigh in with measurements - 1 point per pound lost, 1 point per inch lost. If a pound/inch is gained, add a point. Full lbs/inches only.
4) Weekly Choice Goal - 5 points per week
5) Weekly Financial Challenge - 5 points per week
6) Individual Bonus Point – If you get your weekly totals in before 12am Friday, you will get a 2pt bonus
Team captains will post their team’s totals the weekend after points posting day (Thurs or Fri). For each week, the losing team’s captain will have to buy the winning team a spark goodie. After all 4 weeks of the challenge, all team averages will be totaled to determine a winning team. Each member of the losing team will buy each member of the winning team a trophy or blue ribbon spark goodie.
And just like in the Mother’s Day Challenge, team trash talking is allowed so long as it remains tasteful and within the rules of SparkPeople, stays on the threads of the Nifty & Thrifty Team, and the Spark Pages of the participants. Remember, this is to be all in fun and to keep team comradery high!
"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins.”
Having trouble staying on track with a busy Summer? The Holiday to Holiday Challenge Team may have just the motivation you need!
| current weight: 148.0