last September i mapped out a goal to lose almost 40 pounds by this weekend. This weekend i will be participating in a 5k that i've run at least 6 times (in lean AND in fat years). to reach my 40 pound loss i would have had to lose about 1.3 pounds per week. 1.3 pounds per week seemed reasonable. then there is reality.
- getting so sick that i was essentially just another part of the couch for 3 days, and
- the cough and congestion lasted SIX WEEKS;
- sick kids (4 rounds of that);
- a sick wife (her turn for 3+ days of "couch");
- Thanksgiving (you know those are troubled waters);
- almost 3 weeks at the in-laws for Christmas (it's cold in Canada);
- other family gatherings (mom is such a great cook);
- financial stress;
- projects due for work;
- you know... LIFE.
i have not lost 40 pounds. i did not complete the training schedules i mapped out in September - 0 for 3.
as for what i have done, I HAVE KEPT GOING FORWARD.
- i have averaged a grand -0.8 pounds per week, in spite of the consistent existence of reality.
- i have lost OVER HALF of that 40pound goal.
- my running times are faster.
- my eating habits are better.
- i've been a support to my wife in her own weight-loss.
- i have eaten some great food.
- i have had some adventures with my exercise.
- i might even be SLIGHTLY more flexible.
- i have run and walked HUNDREDS of miles.
- i have given away my "fat pants"
- i have DONE BETTER.
i wish i could have completed at least one of the training programs. i had to modify each one to my schedule. i had to just let a few weeks just drop out altogether. i have missed a lot of what i thought i could have done between then and now.
above all, i will NEVER complain about being down 20+ pounds and still moving forward.
| current weight: 204.0